This brisket rub is a perfect blend of classic BBQ spices that belongs on your next smoked brisket! It comes together in under a minute, and is much cheaper than buying the expensive store-bought rubs.
Be sure to pair this brisket rub with our smoked brisket recipe the next time you fire up your smoker.
How To Make The Best Brisket Rub
This homemade brisket rub includes just six ingredients, and you probably have most of them laying around your pantry.
- Black pepper (2 tbsp). Freshly cracked.
- Salt (2 tbsp). Use kosher salt.
- Garlic powder (1 tsp). For a little savory flavor.
- Onion powder (1 tsp). A hint of sweet and savory.
- Smoked paprika (1 tsp). A subtle smokiness and depth.
- Chili powder (1/2 tsp). For an element of heat and smokiness.
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until well mixed together.
2. Apply liberally all over your brisket! Allow the rub to adhere to the brisket for at least 30 minutes.
This brisket rub goes obviously goes well with brisket, but you can also use it on steaks, as well as fish, chicken, and pork.
Does this rub taste like a typical salt and pepper rub? Not entirely. It has an earthy, slightly smoky, and subtly savory flavor. It's my go-to brisket rub.
Tips For The Best Brisket Rub
- Experiment with heat: If you're a fan of spicy food, try adding a touch of chipotle powder or crushed red pepper flakes to your rub for an extra kick.
- Toast your spices: For an extra depth of flavor, lightly toast your spices in a dry pan before grinding and mixing them into your rub. This brings out their natural oils and enhances their flavor.
- Personalize your salt: Try using flavored salts, like applewood smoked salt, instead of regular kosher salt. This could impart additional subtle flavors into your brisket.
- Rub Resting Time: After applying the rub, consider letting your brisket rest in the refrigerator overnight. This can help the flavors penetrate deeper into the meat.
- Branch Out: Don't limit your rub to just meats. Try it on grilled vegetables or smoked baked potatoes for a burst of smoky, savory flavor.
How Do You Cook Brisket?
The best way to cook brisket is in the smoker. Smoking brisket will result in the most tender, delicious brisket you've ever had.
- You can store this brisket rub in a plastic BBQ shaker for up to a month.
Best Brisket Rub
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until well mixed together.
- Apply liberally all over your favorite brisket!