Smoked candied bacon crackers are one of the best smoker appetizers you can make. Sweet, savory, and smokey, you're going to love these.
In this recipe, we're combining bacon, cream cheese, and jalapeños to create the best candied bacon crackers of your life.
Candied Bacon Crackers Ingredients
- 24-30 club crackers. I fit 27 on my large baking sheet. Make sure to use plain club crackers.
- 2 packages of 8 oz. cream cheese. The cream cheese is optional, but I think it adds an awesome, extra element. Smoked cream cheese is just so good. Make sure your cream cheese is still cold, and not at room temperature.
- 2 tbsp sweet rub. You can use brown sugar, or a sweet BBQ rub. I used my sweet and spicy rub and it came out great.
- 1 package thick-cut bacon. I prefer thick-cut but use regular if that's all you have.
- 2 large jalapeños. You can skip these if you really want, but they're not that spicy. They add a nice, little kick.
Candied Bacon Crackers Recipe Instructions
1. Lay out your crackers on a wire rack
Take your club crackers, and lay them out evenly on a wired rack. We're going to place the entire rack on the smoker, instead of the crackers themselves, so the smoke gets under them.
2. Add the cream cheese
Use a knife and slice off thin pieces of cream cheese, and carefully add them to the crackers. Make sure your cream cheese is cold as it will cut better that way.
3. Add the sweet rub
Next, sprinkle your sweet rub over the cream cheese. You can also use brown sugar if you prefer instead.
4. Add the bacon
Next, add your bacon on top of the seasoned cream cheese. Yes, you're adding raw bacon here—it will cook on the smoker.
5. Add the jalapeño
Finally, slice your jalapeño into thin pieces, and add them on top of the bacon.
6. Smoke the crackers
Preheat your smoker to 350F and smoke the crackers for about 45 minutes. You'll know they're done when the bacon has fully cooked up and the jalapeños are crisp.
7. Rest and enjoy
Remove the crackers from the smoker, and let them cool off for five minutes or so. Then serve and enjoy!
Candied Bacon Crackers Tips & Tricks
If you're making these candied bacon crackers for the first time, here are some tips to keep in mind.
The Prep Takes Time
Don't get me wrong, this recipe is dead-simple and quick: but preparing the crackers to go on the smoker took me about 20 minutes. Between laying out the crackers in a neat row, and slicing the cream cheese, bacon, and jalapeños—just give yourself a little time.
Make Sure Your Cream Cheese ISN'T Softened
Keep the cream cheese in the refrigerator right up until it's time to add it to the crackers. If you allow your cream cheese to sit out at room temperature for too long, it will become too soft—and make it difficult to cut into nice, even slices.
Add The Bacon "Meat", Not the Fat
When you slice up bacon in small pieces, you'll notice that half of what you cut up is fat, while the other half is the actual meat. This may sound obvious: but make sure you're adding the meat to the crackers, not the fat!
Best Candied Bacon Crackers
- 30 club crackers
- 8 oz. cream cheese 2 packages
- 2 tbsp sweet rub sub brown sugar
- 1 package bacon thick cut
- 2 jalapeños
- Lay out your crackers on a wire rack
- Add the cream cheese
- Add the sweet rub
- Add the bacon
- Add the jalapeño
- Smoke the crackers at 350F for 30-45 minutes
- Rest and enjoy